THE 1940s ``THE ORIGINS``: VIA DELLA CELLA
Our story starts in 1940, in the city of Genoa, in a modest room on the top floor of an industrial building in Via della Cella, in San Pier D’arena. This is where Professor Alessandro Doldi started the construction of electrochemical systems for the production of a disinfectant, sodium hypochlorite, used to disinfect aqueduct water, including the “De Ferrari Galliera” aqueduct serving Genoa.
1947, FOUNDATION: AZIENDA CHIMICA GENOVESE
The years passed and Professor Doldi realised that there was no longer enough space. He therefore decided to open Azienda Chimica Genovese in 1947, for the production and sale of sodium hypochlorite.
1953, THE FIRST ANTI-FOULING TREATMENT SYSTEM
The first direct electrochemical water chlorination system was built in 1953, for the La Spezia municipal aqueduct. Azienda Chimica Genovese also started construction of anti-fouling treatment systems for salt water circuits on board ships in 1953. The first system started operating on 25 June of the same year, on board the M/V “Enotria”, owned by Adriatica s.p.a di navigazione, to prevent the growth of marine organisms. It was the world’s first ever anti-fouling treatment system on board a ship and was invented by Professor Alessandro Doldi.
THE 1970s-1980s: CONSOLIDATION
His children Alessandro, Claudio, Carlo and Bianca took over and the company stepped up a level: as it established its position on the international panorama as a leader in the production of anti-fouling systems (Ecolcell), the company started to produce impressed current cathodic protection systems (Marimpress ICCP) for ship hulls and went on to become one of the leading manufacturers of this type of system in a very short space of time. The Miniecolcell system for disinfection of sewage in treatment systems was created in 1982. Azienda Chimica Genovese then produced and developed an alternative system to electrochlorination, called COPRON, which is based on the use of copper and aluminium anodes.
THE 1990s: EXPANSION
In 1997, due to the insight of Claudio Doldi and well before anyone else, ACG set its sights on the South East Asian market, where it opened three representation offices in China (Shanghai , Dalian, Canton) and one in South Korea.
It then opened a new plant in Changshu, near Shanghai, in 2000. Claudio Doldi understood the great potential of the new global markets and was one of the precursors in business penetration of emerging countries such as China, Korea, Vietnam and India, which are now a focus of world interest and have allowed the company to expand its market worldwide.
THE PRESENT DAY
With the arrival of the third generation, Tommaso and Federico, the company moved to a new, 10,000 m2 building: the former Genoa Dairy Production Plant. The new building allowed the company to produce much larger systems and satisfy the needs of all types of customer. It is located just a short distance from the Genoa-Bolzaneto motorway and Genoa Port.
The building, well-remembered and loved by the local population, is one of the last examples of industrial architecture in Genoa.
ACG is now known worldwide as one of the leading suppliers in the sector.
"RESEARCH SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK RESULTS THAT ARE USEFUL TO HUMANITY"
He was a chemist, researcher, university lecturer and industrialist and soon became a national and international expert on water, which he studied in all its different aspects. The mastery of Sandro Doldi is a model of theoretical know-how and practical experience and it is rare now to see one scholar alone stretch the boundaries as far as he did. His business activities started in the immediate postwar period, in a modest room on the last floor of an industrial building in Via della Cella, in San Pier D’arena (Genoa, Italy). He built and supplied electrochemical systems for production of sodium hypochlorite to disinfect aqueduct water.
When it became clear that the premises in Via della Cella had to be vacated, he purchased the area in Via F.Vezzani in Rivarolo on his own and, in 1947, created Azienda Chimica Genovese for the production of sodium hypochlorite. In 1954, he supplied and created the world’s first anti-fouling treatment system on board a ship, the M/V Enotria, and the subsequent u0003 systems installed on board vessels of all kinds bore his name.